The Shiba Widgets plugin allows you to assign different widgets to different posts, pages, categories, or tags.
New features for Shiba Widgets 1.1 –
- Updated for WordPress 3.0. Plugin will now work on 2.9 and 3.0.
- Copy widget sets.
- Assign widget sets for front-page, search, file not found (404), all posts, all pages, etc.
- Retrieve and delete lost widgets.
- Tag and Category widget information is now stored in a metadata table. It no longer shows up in the description section.
- Propagate text widget changes.
- The Multi-Column Widget and Style Widget now use standard WordPress core options to store their results.
1. WordPress 3.0
Plugin now works in WordPress 3.0 (multi-site support has not yet been added). It will also work in WordPress 2.9+.
2. Copy Widget Sets
You can now copy widget sets in the Manage Widgets screen.
When you copy a widget set, new widget instances will be created for each of the widgets in the original set. In this way, you can alter the copied set in any way you want without accidentally changing the original data.
Inactive widgets will also get duplicated when you copy a widget set.
You can create as many copies of a widget set as you want. A unique slug name will be generated for each duplicate widget set.
3. New Widget Options Menu
There is now a new widget options menu under Appearance >> Widget Options.
The widget options menu allows you to assign widget sets to common pages or groups of pages such as –
- Blog front page.
- File not found page (404).
- Search page.
- All posts.
- All pages.
- All attachments.
- All category pages.
- All Tag pages.
Note – Widget sets for specific posts, pages, categories or tags will always take precedence over these blog-wide assignments.
Other widget options include –
- Show lost widgets – Show widgets that are no longer assigned to any sidebar. Widgets can get lost when you save a widget set using a different theme, which may have a different number of sidebars.
- Inherit widget from parent – Allows you to set whether child pages should inherit the widget set of their parent page. This is a great feature suggestion made by Rob.
Lost widgets will show up when you edit or create a widget set. The lost widgets area appears at the bottom of the screen below the inactive widgets area.
Lost widgets do not get duplicated when you copy a widget set.
4. Propagate text widget changes
Text widgets now have an additional propagate setting.
This setting allows you to propagate text changes across all other text widgets that contain the same data.
This function is most useful when you have several copied widget sets that all have the same text. Using the propagate setting in this case means you only have to make the text changes once, and it will propagate to all the other copies.
5. Please report bugs and features below
This is a big update, so please report any bugs that you find. Feature suggestions are also very welcome.